The Community Integration through Cooperative Education (CICE) program is designed for individuals with intellectual disabilities or significant learning challenges. The CICE program is a great opportunity to build confidence, gain independence and enjoy the college experience first-hand. Students will have the opportunity to learn at their own pace in a variety of college academic courses.
CICE will provide students with an opportunity to enhance academic and vocational skills by taking regular college classes modified to fit academic abilities.
Students will receive support including:
- Curriculum modification
- Note taking
- Other related support as needed
Learning facilitators will also provide students with support in the classroom with a weekly tutorial. Please note: No support is provided outside of these academic settings.
Each semester, students will take academic courses with modified curriculum in a selected area of concentration as well as programming common to all CICE students. Students will access courses in many program areas (based on seat availability).
Field placement experiences (unpaid) which enable the student to develop vocational abilities are an integral part of the CICE program. Successful completion of all courses and the field placement requirement will result in students graduating with an Ontario College Certificate in CICE.
For more information about the CICE program please visit our frequently asked questions webpage.
CICE Virtual Information Session
Learn more about the CICE Virtual information session on November 25, 2020 at 6 p.m.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Participate with equal opportunity in regular college programs and activities.
- Test and develop their skills for potential employment.
- Develop and strengthen their functional academic skills.
- Pursue their own personal areas of academic/vocational interest.
- Function more independently with their peers in a community college setting.
- Strengthen interpersonal skills such as self-confidence and self-esteem in order to enrich the quality of their lives.