The EMSF program is designed for those interested in exploring post-secondary options in emergency services, or preparing for a specific emergency services or health science diploma. This two-semester certificate program will help you develop a strong academic foundation for success in a college program such as Paramedic, Practical Nursing, Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training, Police Foundations, Protection Security and Investigation, 911 Emergency and Call Centre Communications, or Fire and Life Safety Systems Technician. The EMSF program will also provide you with the opportunity to obtain selected course credits toward a diploma in another program, and external micro credentials.
The program concentrates on foundational skills such as communication, biology, chemistry, practical mathematics, and law and civics. In addition, it will help you develop knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- Addictions and mental health
- Diversity and inclusion
- Physical fitness
In preparation for a post-secondary diploma program in a related field, your options also include:
- From one to four credits that can be used toward diploma programs.
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials certification.
- Ontario Security Guard license.
- Portfolio development with relevant external microcredentials, such as Training for an Accessible Ontario.
Please note: Admission to other programs is not guaranteed.