This program will appeal to you if you prefer hands-on experience and like technology. You will learn to create computer-aided drawing (CAD) models of machine parts and assemblies, program computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software and manufacture designs using computer numerical control (CNC) code. The program is taught in up to date laboratories, utilizing the latest design software and manufacturing and testing equipment.
From the manufacturing and production to power generation and oil and gas industries, employment opportunities exist in:
- Engineering design and drafting
- Product/system testing
- Quality management and evaluation
- Technical sales
- Servicing of mechanical systems
Please note: You will be required to purchase green tag safety boots in order to participate in many laboratory settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Complete all work in compliance with current legislation, standards, regulations and guidelines.
- Apply quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organizational standards and requirements.
- Comply with current health and safety legislation, as well as organizational practices and procedures.
- Apply sustainability best practices in workplaces.
- Use current and emerging technologies to support the implementation of mechanical engineering projects.
- Analyze and solve mechanical problems by applying mathematics and fundamentals of mechanical engineering.
- Interpret, prepare and modify mechanical engineering drawings and other related technical documents.
- Contribute to the design and the analysis of mechanical components, processes and systems applying fundamentals of mechanical engineering.
- Manufacture, assemble, maintain and repair mechanical components according to required specifications.
- Verify the specifications of materials, processes and operations to support the design and production of mechanical components.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of projects.
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance.