Public health depends on the superior management of water quality and a team of professionals is required to ensure safe water for residents of Ontario. The Water Quality Technician program is designed to provide you with the knowledge and practical skills to work in water and wastewater treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection and environmental monitoring.
You will receive the specific education required to develop the skills needed to meet the demands of municipalities with water and wastewater treatment systems, water-use industries and environmental monitoring agencies.
Classes will be delivered at both the Oshawa and Whitby campuses, depending on the semester and year. This enables students to utilize various applicable lab resources. Students will be notified in advance when they register for classes.
You will focus on:
- Engineering concepts
- Environmental quality
- Professional responsibility relating to co-workers, the public and regulators
- The impact that water quality has on human health
Targeted skills development includes:
- Chemistry and mathematics related to water quality, treatment and analysis
- Conflict management, problem solving and effective communications
- Emerging pathogen risks and public health concepts
- Knowledge development in the areas of operation of water and wastewater systems
- System design concepts and blue print reading
- Sampling, laboratory techniques and data interpretation
Please note: You will be required to purchase green tag safety boots in order to participate in many laboratory settings.