Public health depends on the superior management of water quality and a team of professionals is required to ensure safe water for residents of Ontario. The Water Quality Technician program is designed to provide you with the knowledge and practical skills to work in water and wastewater treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection and environmental monitoring.
You will receive the specific education required to develop the skills needed to meet the demands of municipalities with water and wastewater treatment systems, water-use industries and environmental monitoring agencies.
Classes will be delivered at both the Oshawa and Whitby campuses, depending on the semester and year. This enables students to utilize various applicable lab resources. Students will be notified in advance when they register for classes.
You will focus on:
- Engineering concepts
- Environmental quality
- Professional responsibility relating to co-workers, the public and regulators
- The impact that water quality has on human health
Targeted skills development includes:
- Chemistry and mathematics related to water quality, treatment and analysis
- Conflict management, problem solving and effective communications
- Emerging pathogen risks and public health concepts
- Knowledge development in the areas of operation of water and wastewater systems
- System design concepts and blue print reading
- Sampling, laboratory techniques and data interpretation
Please note: You will be required to purchase green tag safety boots in order to participate in many laboratory settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Work independently and with others to conduct tests related to water and waste water in the lab and field.
- Analyze and interpret test results for clients or supervisors.
- Collaborate with individuals in testing and troubleshooting equipment at water and waste water plant facilities.
- Make decisions based on an understanding of Ontario environmental legislation affecting waste water treatment plants, scope and authority of certificates of approval, owner/operator responsibilities.
- Collaborate on basic design concepts and operational techniques of industrial and municipal water treatment systems.
- Collaborate with others in providing emergency responses to plant issues.
- Contribute to the design of water supply pumping systems, pipe networks and distributed storage reservoirs.
- Develop and implement risk management strategies for hazardous and non-hazardous industrial waste.