Civil Engineering influences almost every aspect of modern human life. Much of the physical infrastructure of modern society is provided through Civil Engineering. Students in the Civil Engineering Technician diploma program will learn how to construct, maintain and recycle the structures in communities such as dams, bridges, roads, buildings, pipelines, railways and tunnels. Students will learn how to collect, process and interpret technical information to produce written and graphical project-related documentation. Program graduates assist in scheduling, cost estimation, quality control and monitoring of civil engineering projects.
Civil engineering is also responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of critical infrastructure elements which keep communities functioning, such as transport systems, wastewater treatment, gas, water and electricity supplies. Graduates of the Civil Engineering Technician program carry out technical functions related to a broad range of civil engineering fields including structural, municipal, highway and transportation engineering, water resources, geotechnical engineering, environmental protection and infrastructure rehabilitation.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop and use strategies to enhance professional growth and ongoing
learning in the civil engineering field.
- Comply with workplace health and safety practices and procedures in
accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Complete duties and assist in monitoring that work is performed in
compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards,
bylaws, codes and ethical practices in the civil engineering field.
- Carry out sustainable practices in accordance with contract documents,
industry standards and environmental legislative requirements.
- Collaborate with the project team and communicate effectively with
project stakeholders to support civil engineering projects.
- Collect, process and interpret technical data to produce written and
graphical project-related documents.
- Use industry-specific electronic and digital technologies to support civil
- Participate in the design and modeling phase of civil engineering
projects by applying engineering concepts, basic technical
mathematics and principles of science to the review and production of
- Assist in the scheduling, cost estimation and monitoring of the progression
of civil engineering projects by applying principles of construction project
- Perform quality control testing and the monitoring of equipment,
materials and methods involved in the implementation and completion
of civil engineering projects.
- Apply teamwork, leadership and interpersonal skills when working
individually or within multidisciplinary teams to complete civil