Durham College Living Green practices sustainability every day, especially in our beautiful office located in the heart of the Gordon Willey building – Room SW217. The Herman Miller inspired space is fully accessible to students and employees and serves as a hub for environmental awareness and action on campus. Home to the Living Green initiative and sustainability co-ordinator, the office serves to inspire and equip the campus with the appropriate resources to identify and implement new programs and activities designed to reduce the campus’s environmental footprint and Inspire a sustainable mindset.
Living Green DC practices sustainability every day, especially in our beautiful office located in SW217. Below you can find descriptions and images of the sustainable items in SW217.
Environmentally-sensitive design, which adheres to Herman Miller’s Design for the Environment criteria and is GREENGUARD certified, helping to achieve LEED credits.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Silver – This means that canvas has been evaluated for its material health, and is designed for material reuse in a closed loop system, such as recycling or composting. It is assembled using 100 per cent renewable energy.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified – Certified to GREENGUARD standards for low chemical emissions into indoor air during product usage
- FSC-Certified wood – Herman Miller has Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) chain of custody certification and offers certain standard laminate and veneer work surfaces and storage products with wood fronts and tops, with exceptions, as FSC-certified products.
- Manufactured in West Michigan using 100 per cent renewable energy via renewable energy credits and a power purchase agreement. It is comprised of 71 per cent recycled materials. This figure breaks down to two per cent post-consumer and 69 per cent pre-consumer recycled content.
- Designed for minimal material use, reduced energy requirements, easy reconfiguration, and durability and Backed by Herman Miller’s 12-year, 24/7 warranty.
- Level certified – The level conformance mark ensures a comprehensive, independent, and impartial assessment of the environmental and social impacts of a product. For more information, go to www.levelcertified.org.
Lightbulbs-Sylvania Octron FO32, 3000K, 32 watt bulb
- warm white colour, energy efficient T8 lamp
- Made in the U.S.
- Ecologic certified-passes federal TCLP limits
Eco Solution Q
- Cradle to Cradle Silver certified – Has been assessed by the Cradle to Cradle protocol to ensure it is safe for human health and the environment
- Contains more than 40 per cent recycled content and has been assessed by the MBDC Design Protocol as safe for human health and the environment.
- Sourced from Caprolactam recovered through the company’s Recycling facility in Augusta, Georgia.
- EcoWorx backing is also recognized with Cradle to Cradle Silver Certification, giving Shaw the only carpet products to earn this designation that contributes to USGBC’s LEED® Green Building Rating System
- LokDots uses a system of adhesive dots and a lightweight handheld applicator to install EcoWorx carpet tile, making it one of the most environmentally- friendly and easiest ways to install carpet tile. The process uses 97 per cent less adhesive material (compared to wet adhesive), and it contributes to LEED status with Cradle to Cradle Silver and GRI Green Label Plus certifications.
Herman Miller Mirra Chair:
- Offers more support with less material
- created with a human-centred design
Made of 25 per cent recycled materials, it has no PVC in its construction. It’s 97 per cent recyclable and disassembles easily. Its upholstery contains no foam and is completely recyclable when the chair reaches the end of its useful life. It adheres to McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry Cradle to Cradle Design Protocol and is GREENGUARD certified and may contribute to LEED credits
Herman Miller Caper Chairs:
- The Caper multipurpose chair features simple-to-use pneumatic seat-height and tilt-tension adjustments.
Each Caper chair is up to 95 per cent recyclable and made of up to 32 per cent recycled material. Caper stacking chairs adhere to McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry Cradle to Cradle Design Protocol, are GREENGUARD certified, and may contribute to LEED credits.