This three-year program will prepare you for a career in multiple facets of technology, spanning the electrical and mechanical engineering boundaries. It primarily focuses on industrial automation and its associated control systems, programming, design and documentation. Students in this program are the primary users of the Integrated Manufacturing Centre (IMC) and Industrial Programming lab. Durham College’s excellent industrial automation facilities will give you an edge upon graduation.
Key automation technology career opportunities are available in several areas including:
- Building automation
- Plant automation
- Process instrumentation and control
- Renewable energy
- Technical sales
As a graduate you will specialize in designing, analyzing, troubleshooting, modifying, maintaining and repairing automated electromechanical equipment, components, systems and subsystems. In addition, you will be able to:
- Apply communication, documentation, computer applications and teamwork skills to support the engineering activities of an organization
- Assist with project management
- Conduct quality assurance functions
- Manage customer service quality-control
- Perform purchasing.
A superior, modern training facility, the IMC is a world class, industrial-grade, automated facility that houses major equipment components including:
- Automatic identification (bar code and radio frequency ID)
- Human machine interface screens
- Industrial networks
- Industrial robots
- Material handling systems
- Process instrumentation and control hardware, software and networking
- Programmable logic controller hardware
- Supervisory control and data acquisition software
- Vision cameras.
Please note: You will be required to purchase green tag safety boots in order to participate in many laboratory settings.