The Durham College Archives is an irreplaceable collection of documents, records and materials that authentically represent Durham College as an institution. The purpose of Durham College’s Archives is to organize, preserve, secure and make available the collection for future use.
This policy outlines the principles for the development, maintenance and use of Durham College’s archival collection.
Archival collection refers to the accumulation of a broad range of material including, but not limited to: documents deemed to have administrative, legal or historical value; information about the College’s history, students’ activities, architectural plans, campus maps, departmental records, artifacts, research, and academic programs; publications such as press releases, faculty works and/or student newspapers; memorabilia such as posters, clothing, ceremony programs, photographs, oral histories and/or slides and; personal and professional papers of distinguished personnel.
- The cooperation and support of administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni are vital to the collection and preservation of archival documents, records and/or materials.
- The College Archives shall balance the physical preservation of the archival collection with the needs of researchers to access it.
- Access to the archival collection is limited; restrictions on collection access may be applied and shall be communicated. Restrictions may include, but are not limited to: indirect access to documents, records and/or materials, time limits, supervision requirements, patron eligibility, handling requirements, and/or reproduction prohibitions.
- Collection documents, records and/or materials donated to the College Archives shall be henceforth the exclusive property of Durham College.
- Personnel records, financial records and students records shall not be included in the archival collection.
- The mission, vision and values of Durham College will be the basis for the implementation and enforcement of this policy.
Roles and Responsibilities
It is the responsibility the Vice-President, Academic to ensure this policy is fully implemented.
A detailed description of roles and responsibilities relating to this policy is provided in the College Archives Procedure.
College Archives Procedure
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Procedure
Gift Acceptance Procedure
Related Policies and Directives
Gift Acceptance Policy