If you are a domestic or internationally educated student with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree or other post-secondary credential, you may be eligible for a compressed, fast-track opportunity to complete your advanced diploma requirements in two semesters.
The Environmental Technology program focuses on the chemical and biological sciences as they relate to environmental pollution. An emphasis is placed on ground and surface water quality, soil and waste management and recycling in urban and industrial settings. You will also examine environmental regulations and review their social and economic impacts on communities.
Training and experience in the handling, analysis and monitoring of a wide variety of biological and chemical parameters linked to pollution are at the heart of the program. First-hand field and laboratory experience are emphasized in areas such as:
- Analytical chemistry
- Data collection
- Environmental stewardship management
- Instrumental analysis
Environmental problems and concerns are constantly changing and at Durham College we aim to adapt in order to stay at the leading edge of these changes. Statistics Canada has identified environmental technology as one of the top emerging employment sectors.
This fast-track option is designed for students with existing academic credentials and will provide you with the advanced skills necessary for employment in the environmental field. The program provides technical practice with many opportunities for hands-on experience and project-based learning.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Collect representative environmental samples, perform routine and specialized tests and interpret results, using current and relevant tools.
- Identify, select and use scientific concepts and models in the prevention, control and elimination of environmental hazards and in the remediation of contaminated sites.
- Analyze water/soil/air samples in a manner that contributes to the resolution of environmental problems through the selection and application of relevant scientific and engineering principles.
- Participate in the planning, design, implementation and maintenance of environmental projects, following standard procedures.
- Promote and maintain sustainable practices by applying the elements of ecosystem-based management.
- Carry out work responsibilities adhering to standards of professional conduct and principles of professional ethics.
- Suggest strategies aimed at ensuring all tasks are completed in adherence to occupational health and safety standards and applicable legislative requirements.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of environmental management systems.
- Provide ongoing support for project management.
- Communicate technical information accurately and effectively in oral, written, visual and electronic forms.
- Develop and present strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance performance as an environmental technologist.