Our well-equipped biotechnology, microbiology, and chemical analysis facilities provide our students with hands-on experience in the methods and instrumentation used in the biotechnology, cannabis, and food industries. Our students learn the theory of and perform experiments involving the isolation and manipulation of DNA, the purification and characterization of proteins, and the growth, maintenance, and management of tissue cultures and microorganisms. In the final semester students combine their knowledge to use biological organisms to manufacture a chemical product used in an industrial process. Our graduates leave with the scientific theory and skills combined with a clear understanding of regulatory affairs and the ethical implications of the biotechnology industry and its influence on society.
During placement, students have the opportunity to gain experience at partner organizations, including food and beverage companies, university research labs, and analytical testing faculties.
Graduates are employed in both the public and private sectors including:
- Biotechnological, agricultural or food laboratories
- Government institutes
- Quality control laboratories
- Research laboratories
- Natural health products laboratories
- Fermentation laboratories
This program has broad career prospects and a graduate may become a(n)
- Instrumentation technologist
- Microbiology technologist
- Food technologist
- Quality assurance technologist
- Quality control technologist
- Biotechnology technologist
- Immunology technologist
- Clinical study technologist
Graduates may be eligible to continue their students in a degree program via Pathways agreements with a variety of universities: www.durhamcollege.ca/pathways
If you are a domestic or internationally educated student with a Bachelor of Science degree, you may be eligible for the fast-track delivery. Please see the fast-track program for more details: www.durhamcollege.ca/bitf
Program Learning Outcomes
- Perform laboratory duties independently and in compliance with pertinent legislation and regulations, as well as biotechnology standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate in implementing and evaluating quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organizational standards and requirements.
- Select and implement best practices for sustainability.
- Complete complex biotechnological applications using advanced principles of chemistry, biology and biostatistics as well as basic principles of physics.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate laboratory procedures to carry out quantitative and qualitative tests and analyses.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate standard cell culture procedures under aseptic conditions.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate molecular biology procedures.
- Manage biological data to support biological scientists and researchers in capturing, organizing/summarizing and storing their data.
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, maintain and communicate scientific data effectively.
- Develop and present a strategic plan for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance.
- Apply basic business principles to biotechnology practices.