Classes in this program are offered in a compressed format on three consecutive days each week.
This program is designed to develop the skills required to perform administrative support in a wide variety of health care environments. You will gain a practical understanding and knowledge on topics including:
- Basic anatomy and physiology
- Confidentiality and privacy
- Medical billing
- Health care ethics
- Health care office and hospital procedures
- Medical terminology and transcription
- Electronic medical record software
- Patient management
With the health care field constantly changing and computers bringing new concepts and approaches to office procedures, you will receive training in computerized medical records systems, computerized Ontario Health Insurance Plan billing systems, and other office equipment technology applications. This program will help you become a skilled and specialized professional that is comfortable with the latest technology and able to compete effectively in the workplace.
Please note: You will be required to achieve a keyboarding speed of 45 net words per minute to graduate.
Upon successful completion of Year 1 you may elect to finish your studies and graduate with a one year Ontario college certificate in Office Administration. Please make arrangements through Strategic Enrolment Services. Graduates with an average of 75 per cent or higher may use that qualification toward their Canadian Medical Secretary designation with the Ontario Medical Secretaries Association.
STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED VARIOUS MICROSOFT OFFICE USER SPECIALIST (MOS) CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Program Learning Outcomes
- Conduct oneself professionally and adhere to relevant legislation,
standards and codes of ethics.
- Manage the scheduling, coordination and organisation of
administrative tasks and workflow within specific deadlines and
according to set priorities.
- Coordinate the collection, analysis, distribution and response to
communications in the workplace to facilitate the flow of
- Operate and provide support to others related to the use of office
equipment and technologies.
- Evaluate, establish and administer health records management
systems to ensure confidential, secure, accessible and
organised electronic and paper records.
- Produce financial and client billing records for health services
by compiling relevant information and using accounting
- Produce health documents and reports using available
technologies and applying industry standards.
- Use interpersonal and client service skills to respond to the
diverse needs of clients, their family members and the health
- Identify and use non-invasive clinical tasks to support effective
and efficient health service operations.