In our Biotechnology laboratory, you will conduct extensive experiments in cell and molecular biology in order to develop essential laboratory skills including learning how to isolate and manipulate DNA; purify and characterize proteins; and grow and maintain cells in tissue culture.
You will also learn a wide variety of microbiological techniques in our Microbiology laboratory including the cultivation, manipulation, isolation, and identification of microorganisms. In your final semester, you will use biological organisms to actively manufacture a chemical product used in an industrial process.
Our Analytical Instrumentation lab will provide you with practical, hands on training on a variety of instruments used in the quality control and safety testing of pharmaceuticals, the analysis of clinical samples related to human health, and research and regulatory programs for the protection of our environment.
In addition, you will develop a clear understanding of regulatory affairs and the ethical implications of the biotechnology industry and its influence on society.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Perform laboratory duties independently and in compliance with pertinent legislation and regulations, as well as biotechnology standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate in implementing and evaluating quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organizational standards and requirements.
- Select and implement best practices for sustainability.
- Complete complex biotechnological applications using advanced principles of chemistry, biology and biostatistics as well as basic principles of physics.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate laboratory procedures to carry out quantitative and qualitative tests and analyses.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate standard cell culture procedures under aseptic conditions.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate molecular biology procedures.
- Manage biological data to support biological scientists and researchers in capturing, organizing/summarizing and storing their data.
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, maintain and communicate scientific data effectively.
- Develop and present a strategic plan for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance.
- Apply basic business principles to biotechnology practices.