Carpenters represent one of the largest trade groups in the construction industry, using their skills to construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and/or their components made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials.
Since they focus on the construction of a building, it is vital for carpenters to understand all of the other aspects of a project, including electricity and plumbing. The Carpentry and Renovation Technician program offers a comprehensive program of study that includes courses such as Building Science, Kitchen and Bath Renovation, HVAC Building Science, Demolition and Deconstruction, to give graduates a well-rounded foundation in all aspects of their craft and the principles of construction, with a particular emphasis on sustainable design, theory and energy conservation renovation principles in keeping with today’s industry trends and best practices.
As a Carpentry and Renovations Technician graduate, you will be able to:
- Develop and use strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance and explore career opportunities.
- Comply with health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations and quotes and complete all work in compliance with the rights and conditions of contractual obligation, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws, bylaws, standards and ethical practices in the construction, renovation and conservation building fields.
- Incorporate sustainability practices in the implementation of building construction, renovation and conservation projects in accordance with sustainable building guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors, co-workers and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Interpret project plans and produce technical sketches and documents to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Select and use technologies to obtain, organize and communicate building construction and renovation information.
- Solve problems related to the implementation of building construction and renovation projects by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, building design and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely use hand tools and portable and stationary power tools when performing layout, cutting, fitting and assembly operations.
- Complete building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, in accordance with blueprint specifications and conservation principles.
- Select a range of materials and equipment for the appropriate application to building construction and renovation projects.
- Schedule and assist in monitoring the progression of building construction and renovation projects by applying basic principles and strategies of project management.
- Apply basic business principles and strategies to the operation of a building construction and/or renovation enterprise.