In this program, students will acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to provide safe, effective and ethical care at the entry-level of practice within the massage therapy profession.
Major emphasis is placed on the foundation of Anatomy and then applied through hands-on techniques in clinic settings. Students practice and develop effective communication skills, critical thinking and decision-making ability to meet legal and ethical obligations according to legislative and profession-specific guidelines. Self-care techniques, entrepreneurial knowledge and assessment skills are also emphasized.
The program’s foundation is based on the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics identified by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) and the Inter-jurisdictional Practice Competencies and Performance Indicators identified by the Federation of Massage Therapy Regulatory Authorities of Canada (FOMTRAC).
In six semesters, students will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Conduct a massage therapy practice within a legal, professional and ethical framework.
- Apply business principles relevant to a massage therapy practice.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and professionally with clients, colleagues and members of the inter-professional team.
- Develop and maintain therapeutic relationships to optimize patients’ health and wellness.
- Collect and assess patients’ information to determine their state of health and the treatment goals.
- Develop, implement and evaluate a plan of care according to the patient’s condition and the treatment goals.
- Maintain documentation securely, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement ongoing effective strategies for personal and professional development to ensure quality care.