Classes in this program are offered in a compressed format on three consecutive days each week.
This two-year diploma program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required of an executive office assistant. You will gain extensive practical understanding and knowledge of office concepts; business operations and procedures; current computer software; and how to collaborate on various management activities.
The Office Administration – Executive program is available in both a two-year format and a compressed (four consecutive semesters) option. Please note: Students who choose the compressed, fast-track option will not have a semester off/summer break.
You will develop your skills through various learning methods such as group and individual projects, discussions, lectures, case studies and office simulations.
Emphasis is placed on the practical demands of the job including:
- High-level word processing skills
- Preparing professional documents with accuracy
- Developing presentation, Internet, email, project management, spreadsheet and database skills in a network environment
- Interpersonal and human relations
- Meeting deadlines
- Organizing activities
If you choose to pursue this option, you should enjoy working on computers and interacting with others. In addition, you must be willing to work to develop a professional level of ability in business skills.
Please note: You will be required to achieve a keyboarding speed of 45 net words per minute to graduate.
Upon successful completion of your first year, you may elect to finish your studies and graduate with a one-year Ontario college certificate in Office Administration. Please make arrangements through the Office of the Registrar.
STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED VARIOUS MICROSOFT OFFICE USER SPECIALIST (MOS) CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Program Learning Outcomes
- Conduct oneself professionally and adhere to relevant legislation,
standards and codes of ethics.
- Manage the scheduling, coordination and organisation of administrative tasks and workflow within specific deadlines and according to set priorities.
- Coordinate the collection, analysis, distribution and response to communications in the workplace to facilitate the flow of information.
- Operate and provide support related to the use, maintenance and procurement of office equipment and technologies.
- Evaluate, establish and administer a variety of records management systems to ensure confidential, secure, accessible and organised electronic and paper records.
- Produce financial documents and reports by identifying and compiling relevant information and using accounting software.
- Prepare and produce a variety of business documents using
available technologies and applying industry standards.
- Use interpersonal, leadership and client service skills to respond to diversity and to support the vision and mission of the organisation.
- Research, analyse and summarise information on resources and services and prepare summary reports with recommendations.
- Select and use information technologies to support communication with internal and external stakeholders and to promote the organisation.
- Organise and coordinate meetings, conferences, special events and make travel arrangements, including the preparation of related documentation.
- Support the implementation of projects by applying basic principles of project management.