Part of your training includes the opportunity to practice what you learn through supervised placements in institutional and community settings. Practicum experiences take place throughout Durham Region and you are responsible for your transportation to and from your practicum agency.
Your practicum will enable you to:
- Become job ready
- Be sought out by local employers
- Provide care for clients in health-care facilities under the direction and supervision of experienced faculty
- Learn in a state-of-the-art simulation lab and health care learning centre
- Obtain recognized certificates including Palliative Care, St. Peter’s Feeding and GPA training
- Experience small group instruction in practicum and laboratory settings
- Write a comprehensive exam
Please note: There are costs associated with Electronic Student Permit Checking (ESPC), immunizations, lab tests and certifications. Be sure to keep all of your receipts for income tax purposes. These costs include:
- Service fees for Verified, our documentation collection and ESPC verification partner.
- Costs to complete mandatory immunizations, lab tests, and certifications.
It is required that students have completed the ESPC with Verified to be eligible for the field placement component of this program. You must (at your expense) provide:
- A clear and current Criminal Reference Check (CRC) with Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS). If you cannot provide a clear CRC with VSS, you may not be accepted for placement by a field placement agency. CRCs with VSS must be obtained from your local police station. You may be required to obtain additional CRCs with VSS to meet field placement agency requirements
- Current Level C CPR from a recognized provider and mask fit testing from a recognized provider.
- Current Emergency First Aid Certification from a recognized provider
- Entry immunization form completed by a health-care provider