Approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO), the Practical Nursing program teaches the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to practise as a safe, competent and professional practical nurse. Using the concept of caring as the basis of nursing, you will develop knowledge, skills and judgment in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care for all age groups as they experience various health challenges. A particular focus is placed on the ability to communicate in a caring and therapeutic manner.
With a strong emphasis on practical hands-on experience, you will apply theory gained in the classroom and simulated lab practice to environments including:
- Long-term care
- Mental health
Upon completion of your program, you must successfully complete the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) to become a registered practical nurse (RPN) in Ontario and a member of the CNO*.
Please note: In Ontario the following conditions are laid out by the Nursing Act to be registered as a practical nurse. These conditions may impact your ability to register with CNO as an RPN post-graduation.
To register as a RPN in Ontario you must:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English or French
- Have evidence of your suitability to practice as an RPN in Ontario including not suffering from a physical or mental condition/illness, which may affect your ability to practice nursing
- Have a good character including providing a Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) Criminal Reference Synopsis as part of the registration process. Please note: If your CPIC synopsis is not clear, CNO may determine that you are not eligible for registration
- Not be subject to proceedings with respect to professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity in nursing or other health profession in Ontario
- Pass the CPNRE
- Provide proof of Canadian citizenship, landed immigrant status or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
*CNO Fact Sheet Legislation and Regulation, An Introduction to the Nursing Act . This legislation for all individuals requesting registration should be reviewed by students applying to nursing programs. For information on how the legislation may impact you, call CNO at 1.800.387.5526 for clarification.
Program approval status
On June 7, 2018 the College of Nurses of Ontario Council granted:
The Practical Nursing Diploma Program at Durham College is currently Approved ( Category 1) by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for registration as a Registered Practical Nurse in Ontario.