Approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO), the Practical Nursing program teaches the skills and attitudes necessary to practice as a safe, competent and professional practical nurse. Using the concept of caring as the basis of nursing, you will develop knowledge, skills and judgment in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care across the lifespan as they experience various health challenges. A particular focus is placed on the ability to communicate in a caring and therapeutic manner.
With a strong emphasis on practical hands-on experience, you will apply theory gained in the classroom and simulated lab practice to environments including:
- Long-term care
- Mental health
Upon completion of your program, you must successfully complete the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination to become a registered practical nurse (RPN) in Ontario and a member of the .*
*Please note: in Ontario the following conditions are laid out by the Nursing Act to be registered as a practical nurse. These conditions may impact your ability to register with CNO as an RPN post-graduation.
To register as a RPN in Ontario you must:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English or French
- Have evidence of your suitability to practice as an RPN in Ontario including not suffering from a physical or mental condition/illness, which may affect your ability to practice nursing
- Have a good character including providing a Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) Criminal Reference Synopsis as part of the registration process. Please note: if your CPIC synopsis is not clear, CNO may determine that you are not eligible for registration
- Not be subject to proceedings with respect to professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity in nursing or another health profession in Ontario
- Pass the CPNRE
- Provide proof of Canadian citizenship, landed immigrant status or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Program approval status
In accordance with the mandate of the CNO to communicate Practical Nursing program approval status with current and prospective students please note that:
The Practical Nurse Diploma Program at Durham College is currently approved (Category 1) by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for registration as a registered practical nurse in Ontario.
To register as an RPN in Ontario you must meet the CNO requirements
This program follows an alternative delivery format. The delivery will cover the same material as the traditional weekday program. Due to the delivery format, there is limited availability of services on campus during class hours.
Please note: as the material is being taught over consecutive terms the program will be very rigorous and demanding.
The program has an intake each semester (September, January and May) that runs for 75 continuous weeks at the Oshawa campus. The weekly format may be as follows:
- Fridays: 5 to 10 p.m.
- Saturdays: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sundays: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Six hours of online work throughout the week