NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
This program will provide you with the technical skills and expertise required to work in the high-demand world of personal computers, networking and application support to meet the information technology (IT) needs of modern organizations.
The program curriculum addresses the technical aspects of commonly used components and troubleshooting techniques for:
- Computer hardware
- Networking technologies
- Operating systems
- System administration
You will also learn how to develop your communication and administrative skills and be trained in critical-thinking skills designed to help you respond to many technical challenges. As a graduate, you will be able to:
- Challenge for industry-recognized certifications (e.g. Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MCP, CompTIA A+, Net+)
- Install and configure system software and network devices
- Troubleshoot computer system and network issues.
Note: To ensure you make an informed decision about your IT career path, a common first semester is offered for the Computer Systems Technician, Computer Systems Technology, Computer Programmer and Computer Programmer Analyst programs. This approach will give you an opportunity to explore the systems/programming applications and networking/hardware applications of the IT sector
Students may choose to pursue the following industry certifications, which could require additional exams and/or related work experience to qualify:
- CompTIA - A+; Network+
- Linux LPIC-1
- CISCO CCNA
- Microsoft MCP Server Certifications
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify, analyze, develop, implement, verify and document the requirements for a computing environment.
- Contribute to the diagnostics, troubleshooting, documenting and monitoring of technical problems using appropriate methodologies and tools.
- Implement and maintain secure computing environments.
- Implement robust computing system solutions through validation testing that aligns with industry best practices.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members and stakeholders to ensure effective working relationships.
- Select and apply strategies for personal and professional development to enhance work performance.
- Apply project management principles and tools when working on projects within a computing environment.
- Adhere to ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements and/or principles in the development and management of computing solutions and systems.
- Assist with the implementation of computer systems and cloud solutions.
- Install, configure, troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade and decommission computing system infrastructures.
- Automate routine tasks using scripting tools and programming languages.
- Install and monitor a database management system in response to specified requirements.
- Provide technical support for computing system infrastructures that aligns with industry best practice.