This program was created by Durham College (DC) and Ontario Tech University (Ontario Tech) for individuals who plan to take Ontario Tech’s Bachelor of Commerce degree program. The bridging courses required for admission to the degree program are embedded in the curriculum and if students achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 in each semester of the DC courses and no grade below C in the Ontario Tech courses, students can apply directly to the third year of the Ontario Tech degree program. This opportunity allows qualified candidates to major in Finance at Ontario Tech however acceptance is based on Ontario Tech approval with higher marks required. In order to participate in this program, students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 and complete an application to Ontario Tech in the first semester. Ontario Tech embedded courses are flexible and subject to change by Ontario Tech. Academic planning assistance will be offered to you by a student advisor representative.
A student participating in this program, will be registered at both DC and Ontario Tech. Ontario Tech offers classes in the evenings and the annual calendars including reading week are different. Students are expected to attend all classes as scheduled. In addition, the two institutions use different learning management systems.
For more information please visit the Finance – Business – Transfer to Ontario Tech University Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) Frequently Asked Questions.
Students can also earn the following globally recognized certificates by taking Microsoft Office Specialist exams as part of their computer courses:
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Word Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: PowerPoint Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (COMP2209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Expert (if applicable currently will be offered in Accounting and Supply Chain programs)
Students who successfully pass all three exams can earn an extra certificate that recognizes their accomplishment with the Microsoft Office Specialist: Associate (Office 365 and Office 2019) certificate. DC students are provided access to Microsoft Office 365 through the college’s Microsoft Office account. See more details about this opportunity.
Please note: Students will apply to the Finance - Business transfer program at www.ontariocolleges.ca using the FNTU application code. Upon meeting the selection criteria, students may be eligible to complete the Bachelor of Commerce degree at Ontario Tech.
- This program enables students to complete the Business - Finance diploma at DC and Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) at Ontario Tech in four years for qualifying students, and at less cost than a four-year degree program.
- This program provides students with the option of proceeding to second year with the college-only curriculum to complete the standard two-year Finance - Business diploma or proceeding to complete the two-year Ontario Tech transfer, which will include five university credits.
- Enrolled students have a number of alternative paths to select from including the option to transfer to any other first-year business program at DC after the first.