NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific laptop and software requirements for this program click here.
The Fine Arts program will offer you a wide range of experience and knowledge in the visual arts through a variety of ideas, mediums, materials and techniques including:
- Rapid proto-typing
- Site-specific installations
- Sound and video production
With curriculum based on fundamental courses in art, craft and design, you will be introduced to historical precedents, critical analysis and the practical skills essential to visual culture and its disciplines. Courses also focus on:
- Entrepreneurship and professional practice
- Product and materials design
- Video production and editing
- Web development
You will learn to use your skills and talents as an artist, developing a personal aesthetic and making significant contributions to the local culture and economy by collaborating with community groups and not-for-profit organizations. You will also benefit from experienced faculty and close proximity to galleries, museums and studios located in Durham Region and across the Greater Toronto Area.
Through the production of a comprehensive portfolio of work, you will possess the combination of professional studio experience and entrepreneurial skills required to build a successful career in this vibrant sector.
In The News
Program Learning Outcomes
- Produce a portfolio of work including a comprehensive artist’s statement that reflects an advanced and sophisticated ability to communicate visually.
- Express artistic concepts and personal vision through the manipulation of a variety of media.
- Enhance visual, written and verbal communication in the practice and promotion of personal artwork through the use of technology.
- Communicate effectively in visual, verbal and written forms appropriate to the presentation and promotion of one’s work.
- Research and evaluate contemporary developments and issues in visual and creative arts, as well as current trends in the market, in order to make informed decisions about one’s career in the arts.
- Identify and apply guidelines regulations with respect to health and safety applicable to the use of art materials and methodology.
- Evaluate historical and contemporary works of art from a critical perspective.
- Analyze and evaluate research for visual, written and oral presentation that directs problem solving, informs the creative process and reflects the influence of artistic styles and individuals from periods of history.
- Create a career plan that reflects professional business practices and knowledge of organizations and institutions that support the arts, for purposes of self-promotion and other art-related activities.
- Prepare for and appropriately exhibit one’s work in public galleries, displays and shows, including the documentation of work through the effective use of photography.
- Solve complex problems related to the conceptual process involving project specifications, deadlines, budgetary restrictions and potential client directives.