HR professionals work in partnership with business managers to take care of a company’s largest asset – its people. To help a business run, HR staff provide advice to department supervisors on a range of employee relations issues, design and deliver a range of programs and services focused on individual and team needs, and create company policies that support and promote a workplace culture based on fairness, equity and personal and professional growth.
HR professionals serve as strategic partners in today’s business environment. They work closely with management colleagues at all levels of a company on a variety of project-based and proactive initiatives. Many roles are performed by HR professionals including the following:
- Advocating on a variety of staff issues
- Developing and implementing company policies, procedures, programs and services
- Giving advice and counsel to corporate executives, line managers and employees
This program will develop your skills, knowledge and abilities in the following areas:
- Employee and labour relations
- HR planning
- Introduction to Human Resources management
- Recruitment and selection
- Occupational health and safety
- Organizational behaviour
- Training and development
These careers may lead to management roles that oversee general HR services in small-to-medium sized organizations or to senior HR specialist positions in large organizations.
Courses offered in the HRTU program by DC and Ontario Tech are aligned with the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) in Ontario to obtain professional designation as a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP). Students who receive and average grade of 70 per cent in these courses and maintain a minimum grade of 65 per cent in each course meet the coursework requirements to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exams – a significant step towards obtaining this important designation from HRPA. Please visit www.hrpa.ca for full details.
Students will also have the opportunity to earn a certificate in Mental Health First Aid.
This program was created by DC and Ontario Tech for individuals who plan to take Ontario Tech’s Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree program. The bridging courses required for admission to the degree program are embedded in the curriculum and if you achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 in each semester of your DC courses and no grade below C in your Ontario Tech course, you may apply directly to the third year of the degree program. This opportunity allows qualified candidates to major in Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management at Ontario Tech. In order to participate in this program, you are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and complete an application to Ontario Tech in the first semester. The Ontario Tech-embedded courses are flexible and subject to change by Ontario Tech. Academic planning assistance will be offered to you by a student advisor representative.
As a student participating in this program, you will be registered at DC and at Ontario Tech. Ontario Tech offers classes in the evenings and the annual calendars including reading week are generally different. In addition, the two institutions use different learning management systems.
For more information please visit the Human Resources – Business – Transfer to Ontario Tech University Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) Frequently Asked Questions.
- This program enables students to complete the Business – Human Resources diploma at DC and Bachelor of Commerce Honours program at Ontario Tech in four years for qualifying students, and at less cost than a four-year degree program
- This program provides students with the option of proceeding in second year with the college-only curriculum to complete the standard two-year Business – Human Resources diploma or proceeding to complete the two-year university transfer, which will include five university credits
- This unique pathway is available on a shared campus with exposure to college and university faculty, information and opportunities.
- Students have flexibility including the ability to transfer to any other first-year business program at DC after the first semester.
Please note: You will apply to the Human Resources - Business transfer program at www.ontariocolleges.ca using the HRTU application code. Upon meeting the selection criteria, you may be eligible to complete your Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) degree at Ontario Tech.