In the three-year Architectural Technology program you will focus on the commercial aspect of construction and renovation and gain an in-depth understanding of building and construction technology.
This program, designed to prepare you for an exciting career in architectural technology, will appeal to your creative and analytical side with instruction in freehand sketching; sustainability and green technology; history of architecture; renovation and restoration; site planning; and technical communications.
You will gain knowledge and apply skills in computer aided drawing, building methods and project management using the most current computer-aided drafting programs such as AutoCAD and Building Information Modeling. In addition, you will learn construction and sustainable technologies for materials such as wood frame, steel, masonry and precast concrete and develop project management skills.
Graduates employed in this field will be skilled in analyzing building codes to determine design requirements; drafting contract and bidding documents; assisting architects with drafting construction and design plans; and constructing design models.
The sustainable design skills you will gain will make you current and relevant in today’s increasingly eco-friendly architectural field. Graduates are eligible to apply for additional industry-relevant certifications, which may be a requirement for some employers.
You will further your practical knowledge through a team project/placement component in your third year, which will strengthen your work experience as well as develop your skills in building code, building specifications, estimating and structural and mechanical knowledge.
Please note: You will be required to purchase green tag safety boots in order to participate in many laboratory settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Communicate with clients, contractors, other building professionals, and approval authorities.
- Prepare, read, interpret, and revise drawings, and other graphical representations used in building projects.
- Obtain, analyse, prepare, and revise specifications and other project documents used in design and construction.
- Prepare estimates of time, costs, and quantity, and participate in the tendering process.
- Solve technical problems related to building projects through the application of principles of building science and mathematics.
- Collaborate with and coordinate information from structural, mechanical, and electrical building systems professionals.
- Contribute to the design of architectural projects.
- Contribute to the analysis, planning, and preparation of site planning documents.
- Comply with the legal and ethical requirements of an architectural technologist in the practice of building design and construction.
- Assess buildings and their interiors, and make recommendations for their re purposing and renovation.
- Ensure personal safety and contribute to the safety of others in the workplace.
- Participate in sustainable design and building practices.
- Use and evaluate current and emerging technology to support building projects.
- Assist in the planning, scheduling, and monitoring of building projects.
- Apply business principles to design and building practices.