This program was developed with input from veterans in the digital entertainment industry and continues to garner enthusiastic support from studios and professional artists across the country. Our industry trained professors are ready to share their knowledge and experience with you. The focus of this hands-on program is to develop and hone your skills as a digital artist through project-based learning and instruction.
You will explore environment and level design, employing modelling, surfacing, lighting techniques and special effects in industry leading real-time engines. All of your work will be supported by a strong foundation in animation for games, technical art, and concept art.
You will gain a solid base in the skills needed to explore new technology and software with confidence including courses in:
- Preproduction design
- Traditional drawing and digital illustration
- Game asset creation employing industry current techniques
- Demo reel production and online portfolio development
Industry context is also strongly emphasized though the use of production pipelines and studio simulation. As a graduate, you will enter the industry with strong technical and creative ability, a realistic understanding of the world of game production and a keen sense of professionalism.
In The News
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the differences in game genres in order to develop games that meet the needs of specific markets
- Analyze the history of video games to compare various approaches to game development
- Support the development of games by identifying and relating concepts from a range of industry roles—programming, design, and art
- Contribute as an individual and a member of a game development team to the effective completion of a game development project
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance in the games industry
- Perform all work in compliance with relevant statutes, regulations, legislation, industry standards and codes of ethics
- Develop pre-production and conceptual art for games and gaming through the selection and application of relevant design tools and drawing techniques
- Create original game assets to meet requirements outlined in game design documents and/or creative briefs
- Engage in original world building and level design within a range of game engines to meet industry and marketplace requirements
- Generate user interface design in alignment with Game Design Documents to optimize both the aesthetics and function of gameplay