The Hospitality Skills program will provide you with an introduction to the business of hotel, restaurant and tourism operations. Graduates will have the knowledge and expertise required for an entry-level position in the hospitality industry, and will have earned nationally recognized certifications in responsible alcohol service, and food safety. Experience is gained through hands-on practice and role-playing in the college’s labs. You will also refine your skills in customer service and communications and learn how to apply these skills to a variety of hospitality services including hotels, restaurants, resorts and catering companies.
You will learn how to:
- Provide hospitality service in a professional manner in order to increase customer satisfaction
- Identify and describe the various sectors of the Canadian tourism industry
- Use basic calculations to assist with daily functions of a hospitality operation
- Assist in development and implementation of a hospitality operation’s marketing plan and materials
- Follow all relevant health and safety legislation and regulations
- Plan and implement personal and professional development strategies related to the hospitality industry
- Support daily functions of a hospitality operation using current technologies and computer applications
- Perform duties of an entry-level accommodation operations team member
- Explain theories of food and beverage service and perform basic service tasks
The Hospitality Skills program is offered at the Whitby campus, home of the college’s W. Galen Weston Centre for Food. This incredible learning environment provides access to state-of-the-art labs, classrooms and meeting spaces all designed to offer you the best possible learning experience.
Students in this program will benefit from working and learning in Bistro ’67, a full-service, green-certified teaching and learning restaurant operated by staff and students.
Qualified graduates of the Hospitality Skills certificate program may have the opportunity to continue their studies by completing a second year to obtain their diploma in Hospitality – Hotel and Restaurant Operations Management.