This unique business-based program provides plenty of experiential learning opportunities and in-depth knowledge of all areas of the music business, preparing you for a wide variety of music industry careers spanning:
- Major and independent record labels in roles including marketing, publicity, promotion, merchandising and sales, artists and repertoire, and brand partnerships
- Live music including tour management and booking, concert promotion and production, and venue management
- Music publishing and administration including positions in copyright collection societies, industry trade organizations, copyright administration, music licensing, and music supervision
- Artist management (e.g. managing a musician or managing one’s own musical career)
- Digital music management including streaming services, social networks and online music retail
- Event production including planning or managing live music events, conferences, workshops and more
- Performing/recording artist, or songwriter
- Music production including live and recording services
You will develop skills in management, marketing, promotion, and small business operations, while learning and practicing the essentials of copyright law and music publishing, event production, live sound reinforcement, and media and business communications. Challenging careers are available for skilled administrators and managers, as well as aspiring musicians and songwriters, who can market and manage entertainment events and revenues; harness social media; manage tours; work directly with performers as booking agents or managers; prepare promotional materials; plan and organize itineraries; and negotiate, interpret and enforce contracts.
Mike Shulga Memorial Award
The Mike Shulga Memorial Award is granted annually to a student in the third year (Semester 5) of the Music Business Management advanced diploma program. Applicants must submit proof of relevant work promoting independent live music. Ideas include performance and venue contracts, artists’ affidavits, evidence of promotion (e.g. social media, posters, ads) venue and promoter contact info, etc. Mike "Star" Shulga was an active force in the Oshawa music scene for more than 40 years. He had a passion for rock n' roll and vinyl, and promoted local artists through his own label and live shows. Community members and friends of Mike are providing this scholarship as a tribute to him, a consummate music fan.
In The News