The new DC Connect template has been developed using evidence-based design principles, as well as DC student feedback. This template provides a consistent structure and organization for DC online, hybrid, and face-to-face courses.
What is it?
Our new course template includes:
- A consistent and intuitive DC Connect structure with straightforward navigation
- Page layouts for videos, tables, lists, and featured content displays that are easy to customize
- A standard ‘Welcome’ module that reinforces student supports as well as DC policies
- An updated course home page with a template announcement
- A Faculty How-To Guide with step-by-step roadmap and videos that allow faculty to customize the template
- Can be customized to reflect individual program needs
- Adherence to AODA
- Ensures that students have a consistent experience when navigating their courses
- Reduces cognitive load when looking for materials and tools in each course
- Can support persistence and satisfaction by enabling the focus to remain on learning activities
- Provides a foundation that eliminates the need to build course structure from scratch
- Contains resources for faculty that are hidden from student view that provides step-by-step instructions on how to modify page content including: adding images and/or videos, uploading files, and other content-building activities
- Executive Deans/Associate Deans
- Helps ensure consistency across courses within programs
- Can fast-track new faculty in learning DC Connect functions and reduces training needs
- Support services:
- Allows for more efficient support for faculty from support areas, including ITS
- Helps reduce student support requests when navigating across their different courses
- 'What is it' and 'Who benefits' content has been adapted from George Brown’s course template page https://www.learningcontinuitygbc.com/course-template.html under creative commons 4.0.
Demo: Course Template
The example below provides a demonstration of the design and feel of the template.
Ready to Use the Template?
The new DC Connect Course template can be accessed in two ways:
- Create a new "Sandbox 01" in DC Connect using the Sandbox Management widget found on the main page of DC Connect. The new template will populate any sandbox course that is automatically assigned the “Sandbox 01” suffix. If you already have a "Sandbox 01” created prior to the launch of the new template, you have two options:
- If you aren't using the sandbox called "[Your Name] Sandbox 01", Delete it and then Add a new sandbox. The new sandbox will automatically be assigned the name "Sandbox 01" and you will see the new template in it. Alternatively, you can,
- Edit your sandbox called "[Your Name] Sandbox 01" and change the name to "[Your Name] Sandbox [name of course]". Next, Add a new sandbox. The new sandbox will automatically be assigned the name "Sandbox 01" and you will see the new template in it.
- 'Create a file' to use page templates as Content topics. Would you like to use a few of the template pages for your Content topics, but don’t want the full course template? Access your course Content and, in the appropriate module, click the New button and choose the Create a file option. See DC Connect Content document for more information on using the content topic tool. Click the Select a Document Template button to choose from the following template pages:
Please note, this won’t update your course navigation.
Where do I start?
Have the template, and not sure where to start?