No, “Meals” and “Flex” are two separate components of the meal plan.

Meals are to be eaten in the South Village Residence Dining Hall.

Flex dollars are used to supplement your meals at the other food locations.

Yes, on all voluntary meal plans your balance will roll over semester to semester, year to year until it is depleted.

Dollars may be added to your meal card at any time by visiting the Chartwells website,, at the Chartwells office or at any cashier.

Yes, Voluntary Meal Plans are available to students living off campus who choose to purchase their meals on campus. To purchase a meal plan:

Chartwells Food Services office
Marketplace Food Court, Gordon Willey building
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
T: 905.721.2000 ext. 2555

The food bank is located in the Student Centre building, room 214.  The food bank is available to Durham College Students and is a division of Durham College Students Inc, which is the student association for Durham College.

Yes, all mandatory meal plans have guest passes included with their plan so family members can join you at the Fresh Food Company South Village Dining Hall at no cost.

Also available is a special half-price deal throughout Beat the Rush so family members of students without a meal plan can dine at a discount.

No, the owner of the card is the only person who can present the card for debiting a meal. However, you may use your card to purchase a meal for a friend using your “Flex” dollars.

If you are a meal plan subscriber, it is imperative to report missing cards to the Chartwells Food services office immediately so that your account can be deactivated. Please call 905.721.2000 ext. 2555. Bring your new Campus ID card to the Chartwells Food Services office to update your account.

Please visit our food on campus webpage for the most up to date listing of food options.