What are the benefits of living in Residence?
There are many benefits of living in Residence, some include:
- We are located ON CAMPUS.
- We offer 8 month leases.
- We have a team of Resident Advisors who plan and execute nightly programs, offer academic support, and help with your transition into post-secondary.
- We have a number of leadership opportunities to get you involved in the Residence community, such as Residence Council.
- We have a Residence Outreach worker who provides confidential services to help support student’s overall wellbeing throughout the year.
- We staff on duty 24/7, 365 days a year!
- We have secured main entrances that require electronic swipe cards for access.
- We have a guest sign in policy to ensure the safety and security in the Residence community. Guests must sign in with a piece of valid photo ID at the front desk.
What are the bedroom styles are available in Residence?
We have two Residence buildings: South Village and Simcoe Village.
South Village is made up of one bedroom style: Semi Private Suites, meaning a fully furnished suite with two bedrooms with a double bed in each. The suites also feature a kitchenette with mini fridge and a three-piece bath.
Students accepted into South Village are required to purchase a meal plan.
- Please visit the Aramark website for more information about meal plans.
Simcoe Village is made up of four bedroom styles:
North Hall, Simcoe Village: Semi Private Suites, meaning a fully furnished suite with two bedrooms with a double bed in each. The suites also feature a kitchenette with full-size fridge and a three-piece bath.
Central Hall, Simcoe Village: Open Concept suites, meaning a fully furnished suite with two double beds, divided by a partial wall, a kitchenette with full-size fridge, and a three-piece bath.
South Hall, Simcoe Village: Open Concept suites, meaning a fully furnished suite with two double beds divided by a partial wall, a kitchenette with mini fridge, chest freezer, and a four-piece bath.
South Hall, Quadruple Occupancy, Simcoe Village: Open Concept suites, meaning a fully furnished suite with two double sized bunk beds divided by a partial wall, a kitchenette with a full- size fridge, and a four- piece bath.
Meal plans are optional for students accepted into Simcoe Village.
How do I apply to Residence?
Students who would like to live in Residence can apply online at www.durhamrez.ca and create an application through the My Housing Portal.
Students are required to pay a $500 security deposit in order for their application to be considered valid. The security deposit is kept on the student’s residence account for the duration of their stay. Pending any incidentals, the security deposit will be refunded back to the student after they move out of residence.
What is the application deadline?
First year students are guaranteed a spot in residence if they apply to Residence by the application deadline.
- To be included in the hall type lottery, the application deadline is June 2, 2017.
- When students apply to Residence, they are required to rank their hall type preferences from one to four. We then conduct our hall type lottery to determine which student is placed in which hall type.
- We will do our best to accommodate students’ first choice in hall type, but we cannot guarantee their first choice.
- We accept applications after June 2, 2017 on a first come first serve basis
How is my roommate selected?
- Request Your Roommate: Do you already know who you would like to live with?
- On the ‘Medical, Accessibility, Special Considerations, and Roommate Requests’ step of the Housing Portal, you have the option to write the name of your desired roommate.
- In order for us to accommodate this request:
- you must be accepted into the same hall type as your desired roommate
- your requested roommate must also request you
- Roommate Section of the Housing Portal: Do you want to find your own roommate?
- During the summer you will gain access to the Roommate Section of the Housing Portal (this usually takes place around the beginning of August); this section will remain open for approximately two weeks. In the Roommate Section of the Housing Portal you will be able to browse through potential roommate options and have the opportunity to have conversations with potential roommates.
- You will be able to send roommate requests and accept roommate requests. If the person you sent a roommate request to accepts your requests you will be matched together.
- More information about the Roommate Section of the Housing Portal will be sent out in late July prior to the Roommate Section opening.
- The Residence Will Match You with a Roommate: You do not wish to participate in the Roommate Section of the Housing Portal how will Residence find you a roommate?
- The Residence will match you with a compatible roommate based on the answers from your personality profile questions.
Toward the end of August, the Residence will email all of the Residents their roommate’s first name and screen name. With this information you will be able to communicate with your new roommate through the Housing Portal.
Roommate changes will not be made during the first two weeks of school, unless the situation is of an urgent nature.
Please note: We will do our absolute best to accommodate your roommate request, but due to the complexity of the roommate matching process we may not be able to guarantee your request.
What if I have a roommate conflict during the year?
If you have a roommate conflict during the year, you should contact your Resident Advisor to discuss the issues and possible solutions; they are trained in mediation and can help to solve the problem. If the concern persists, the Resident Advisor will notify the Residence Life Coordinator (the manager who oversees the Residence Life program), who will then work with both parties to achieve a solution.
When can I expect to hear from the Residence?
Monthly, the Residence will be sending out important information, including what to bring to Residence, move in information, ways to get involved, Orientation Week, and the roommate portal process.
This information will be sent to the email address you used when you applied on the My Housing Portal.
If you would like to get in touch with the Residence, please send us an email at email@example.com or call us at South Village – 905.728.8700 ext. 8000 or Simcoe Village – 905.728.8700 ext. 8100.