The impressive list of leading-edge athletics facilities at Durham College’s (DC) Oshawa campus grew this fall with the opening of the Campus Fieldhouse, a multi-sport turf centre that the college shares with the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT). Formerly the Campus Tennis Centre, the transformed facility features two playing fields that can accommodate a variety of intramural sports and activities including soccer, field lacrosse, ultimate frisbee, flag football and bubble soccer, among others.
An official opening for the Campus Fieldhouse was held on November 24, which included a ribbon-cutting by Don Lovisa, president, Durham College and Tim McTiernan, president and vice-chancellor, UOIT. The celebration also saw students participate in an exciting score-to-win contest and an intramural game of soccer.
“We are excited to celebrate the opening of the Campus Fieldhouse, a facility that opens up a new world of athletic and recreational opportunities for our students,” said Ken Babcock, director, Campus Athletics. “Transitioning the tennis centre into the fieldhouse has been a positive move for students on campus. This is a facility that will serve as a hub for community activities for years to come.”
When not being used by the Department of Athletics, the Campus Fieldhouse is available to be rented by community recreational leagues and other sport organizations. It can even be rented for birthday party celebrations.
Campus Fieldhouse facts and benefits:
- Creates new recreational space for students at the Oshawa campus that can be used year-round.
- Provides new opportunities for students and the community to participate in a wide variety of sports and activities.
- Available for varsity athletic teams to train and prepare for competition, including the DC Lords.
- Approximate size of turf field: two adjacent fields, each measuring 30 metres wide by 45 metres long, separated by a vertical net.
- Turf composition: artificial sand-based infill grass system (similar to the surface used by the Toronto Blue Jays at the Rogers Centre).
- Change room onsite.
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week.
- The Campus Fieldhouse sports bubble is located along Founders Drive, near the Campus Ice Centre and Vaso’s Field (north of Conlin Road and west of Simcoe Street).