Durham College is a Platinum Accredited Partner of the Forum for International Trade Training (FITT - www.FITTforTrade.com). This partnership means that Durham College offers an international business program that has been validated by FITT as meeting their high standard of industry excellence. Students registered in our FITT-accredited program have a direct link to FITT and its full range of global trade credentials.
When students successfully complete Durham College’s FITT-accredited program and required assessment(s), not only will they receive credentials from Durham College, but they’ll also automatically receive the FITT Diploma in International Trade for completing the equivalency of all FITTskills courses. Once an individual has achieved the FITT Diploma and completes a minimum of 1 year of practical experience working in international trade, s/he can apply to receive FITT’s Certified International Trade Professional (CITP®|FIBP®) designation. The CITP®|FIBP® stands as a symbol of competency and credibility for global business practitioners. It displays a thorough grasp of international trade processes, an individual’s commitment to global trade, as well as their dedication to ethical business practices and ongoing professional development. The CITP®|FIBP® holder has demonstrated they have achieved the core competencies relevant to international business through skills and knowledge acquisition and industry experience.
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
Advances in information and communications technologies are enabling increased global trade and production resulting in a demand for professionals uniquely trained in international business.
This eight-month program is designed for individuals with a degree or diploma or equivalent business experience who would like to add to their credentials while building a solid foundation in international business practices.
Through lectures, applied in-class activities, readings, case analysis and project-based learning, you will increase your knowledge, abilities and skills in the following:
- All aspects of international trade management, finance, research and legal
- Diverse cultural impacts on international business practices
- Global supply chain management and logistics
- International business development
- International marketing
- Market entry modes and distribution
- Resources for exporters
- Project planning and management, teamwork, report writing, communication and presentation
Program Learning Outcomes
- Conduct an environmental scan to evaluate the impact of world issues on an organization’s international business opportunities.
- Conduct, evaluate and present market research to support an organization’s international business decision-making.
- Manage the preparation of documents and the application of procedures to support the movement of products and services in the organization’s global supply chain.
- Evaluate the impact of statutory and regulatory compliance on an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.
- Develop and implement strategies to negotiate effectively within various cultural environments and to address the impact of cultural differences on an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.
- Develop and present an international marketing plan, and evaluate sales strategies that support an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.
- Identify and interpret relevant international financial documents, and evaluate financial strategies that support an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.
- Analyze the impact of an organization's integrative trade initiatives on its human resources management strategies, policies, and practices.
- Develop and present an international business plan.
- Manage the implementation and evaluation of team projects by applying project management principles.
- Recommend strategies to support principles of corporate sustainability, corporate social responsibility and ethics associated with an organization’s integrative trade initiatives and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Select and apply current technologies to support an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.